A while back I wrote a post in which I was describing my attempt to build a workable basement office from scratch. I sort-of finished the structure (noting that I totally sucked at doing drywall) and went on to construct a console/desk from which to let my creativity and alien shooting abilities flourish. I never did provide adequate reference photographs for this console, so I’m including them here, enjoy!
For the past couple weeks I’ve been designing and building a custom workstation/editing booth for my computer. Here are a couple shots. I’ve also got a running timeline on Google+ that shows some of the build shots.
For the past few months, whenever I was home and not ill (had the flu one week), I’ve been pouring time into creating a finished office space in my townhouse basement. As I’ve assembled the elements to expand my photography professionally I’ve wanted a space to consider my office and start taking the work from home idea seriously. Granted, my “day job” has me on the road and out of town almost every week, but on rare occasions I have time to process images and such at home
The basement space was unused, and I had already built a workshop space into the back corner; so I needed to split the basement into equal parts for office and workshop. The following images show the progress to where it is thus far. Today, I put up a few more framing strips for insulating the stairwell and closet, but those images will have to be added later. I intend on putting in the drywall this weekend. Hopefully, if I stick with it, I’ll have the whole thing done by next weekend.
The office will have sconces on each wall for mood lighting (I’m making LED bulb based Steampunk themed sconces when this is done), electrical outlets at least every seven feet, CAT6 and Cable wall outlets, an under-stair storage closet with coat rack, and a full 38″ width door to access the workshop area. I also wired the office space for integrated 7.1 surround sound to future proof the audio space. The interesting part here is that the room I just put together is more “up-to-code” than any other space in the house. I’m going to seal the flooring with a few coats of sealant, but I think I’ll just use area rugs instead of spending on the flooring right now. I got a couple big grey area rugs at Lowes for $30 each. Eventually I’ll be building a desk and bringing in a coffee table and futon for the space too.
The Forefront Chili Cookoff is this Saturday and as I will be in town, I think it’s high time I entered some real chili. I have it on good authority that never before has hot (as in spicy) chili been entered. So, since I eat habaneros for breakfast, I’ll be entering one that will melt your face. Any ideas for naming this made-from-scratch intense chili will be considered. Also warning labels, such as “Warning: avoid eating if you have high blood pressure, get heartburn easily, are of the elderly persuasion, female, or male going on a date tonight” would be a fun addition… for presentation purposes.
I let a whole week slip by again?
This past weekend was a wonderful non-project day. Last week was a transition into a faster pace at work and as such I was a bit tuckered out by Saturday. I slept-in until 730pm on Saturday “morning”. Yep, 19hrs of sleep straight through. Never done that before. Some practical home projects like painting and packing have been eating up my spare hours as of late, but I promise to delve into a whole slew of new graphics, sculpting, art, photography, and woodworking projects this coming month after the move. For those waiting for the movie posters they’re plodding along and I hope to have some pre-views up by next Saturday.
In the mean time I put up two more double-wide (2880×900) desktops in the desktops page.
Anyhow, that’s the update.
Project Saturday 6 has come and gone. The contest voting ended Friday night, check out the winners, if you like. The artwork will be up in a bit. The project this Saturday was one of packing. The loft I put up over two years ago was taken down and all the stuff I could possibly pack for this month is packed. I have a lot of work this week to continue the pre-moving process, but that loft was a big step in the right direction. I’m starting the in depth search for an inexpensive NYC apartment with space for Jean and I, post wedding. I’ll be moving in first on Sept 1.
Today is Wednesday and my Saturday is already filling up with all sorts of fun. Friday night is wedding invitation night, yay. Saturday morning my roommate is finally coming by to move out his furniture (which has been sitting in my living room for over a month). Thursday – Saturday afternoon I be taking down all my loft storage and the loft it’s stored on so I can prep for painting the room back to white (painting white on top of black… should be fun). I might also get around to cutting a shelf for my roommate’s closet (a freebee in the effort to keep the peace). Also, for those following the process, Friday night the B-Movie Poster Title Contest voting will end and I’ll get my first real look at what I need to start drawing up for the art. It’ll be a great in depth usage of my Wacom Intuous 4 which I’ve mostly used for photo touch-ups. If I can get the room situation ready before Sunday, I’ll have time to chill Sunday afternoon with friends. Next week will be my first solo flight in this new job as the rest of the department takes off on vacation, grumble grumble. I’ll use the after work hours to paint. Hopefully by the 7th of August I’ll be able to finish the posters and order the prints for the winners. If you missed out on sending in an entry this time around, I’ll probably do this type of Contest again in a month or so.